Got paper? Recycle it.
We connect with paper products every day – at home in the kitchen and bathroom; at the office; at the airport.
But it is estimated that only 5% of South African households recycle their paper products. So what is the other 95% doing? Unfortunately their paper goes into the refuse bin and off to landfill.
Today a magazine, tomorrow a newspaper
Locally produced paper is made from plantation-grown trees, recycled paper fibre or sugar cane fibre, making recycled paper is a valuable resource in the paper and packaging chain. While 62% of paper is recovered in South Africa, just less than one million tonnes still end up in landfill, degrading with food waste and adding to greenhouse gas levels in the air we breathe.
By recycling paper, the carbon (absorbed as carbon dioxide by the trees) remains ‘locked up’ in the paper and out of the atmosphere for longer.
Sort your rubbish from your recyclables
The first step to paper recycling is getting to know your recyclables.
Get it collected or drop it off
Visit www.mywaste.co.za for collection programmes or drop-off sites in your area. Keep recyclables aside for an informal collector who walks your neighbourhood every week or contract the services of a small recycling business.